Click here for news from your hometown library!
Art of the Pie - the Big Library Read
No baking class needed, just a library card. Hocutt-Ellington Memorial Library will take part in the Big Library Read program, the world’s largest global eBook reading club through libraries that connects millions of readers around the world with the same eBook at the same time. Our users will be able to borrow the eBook, Art of the Pie: one of 2016’s best cookbooks from pie-guru Kate McDermott, starting Thursday, March 16 and concluding on Thursday, March 30 by visiting claytonnc.overdrive.com. Big Library Read is facilitated by OverDrive, the leading platform for eBooks and audiobooks from the library.
An in-house book discussion will meet on Thursday, March 30, at 6:00 p.m., in the library's meeting room. For more information, please email ClaytonLibrary@TownofClaytonNC.org
Teen Block Park - Saturday, April 29 - 3 to 6 p.m.
Join the Teen Advisory Board as they host our first teen block party at the library. There will be karaoke, face painting, corn hole, art workshops and MORE! The Clayton Police Department will be serving some delicious hotdogs in the parking lot, and prizes & giveaways will be donated by local businesses that continue to support our library and youth outreach. If you would like to donate or volunteer, please send us an EMAIL.
ONGOING LIBRARY EVENTS
- Adult Coloring Club is held EVERY 2nd and 4th Monday from 5 to 7 p.m. in the library meeting room. Coloring isn't just for kids, it can actually help adults combat stress!
- Knit Night is held EVERY 1st and 3rd Wednesday evening from 5:30 to 7 p.m. in the library meeting room. Knitters of all levels and ages are welcome! Please bring your own needles and yarn.
- Teen Game Night is held EVERY 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month from 4:30 to 7 p.m. Bring your own or learn to play ours with others!
- "Come as You Are" Yoga & Meditation is held EVERY Tuesday from 5:45 to 6:45 p.m. Learn techniques to let your stress melt away and regain mental clarity for one hour a week.
- All-Ages Coding Club will soon begin at the library on Friday afternoons! If you have interest in volunteering for this new event, please contact the Library Director. In the meantime, stop in the library and checkout our MakerSpace, a creative space for young makers and educators, is always open in the library meeting room. You can check out our Toys & Games for in-house use at the Children's Desk.
- Monday Night Book Club meets every third Monday at 6 p.m. Book discussion, opinion sharing, refreshments, and lots of fun! It is open to young adult and up in age and new members are always welcome. Meets year-round. Please contact Mardia for any special dates and locations along with our reading list.
- Senior Book Club meets at the library weekly on Fridays at 1 p.m. This book club is in partnership with the Clayton Center for Active Aging. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org The last meeting at the library will be on April 28, 2017, but it will continue onsite at the Clayton Center for Active Aging.
- J Club (ages 7-12) meets every third Thursday at 6 p.m. in the meeting room from September through May. See Mary in the Children's Room to pick up a book! Meets September through May.
WEEKLY STORY TIMES
EVERY Wednesday at 10 a.m. Stories, crafts and special guests designed for preschool age children. Meets year-round
EVERY Tuesday from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Stories, crafts and special guests designed for Kindergarten to 5th-grade students. Meets year-round.
EVERY Thursday at 10:00 a.m. Baby songs, stories, giggles and rhymes for children 2 years and under with their caregivers. Meets year-round.
*NEW* Saturday Story Time at 10:00 a.m. Stories designed for preschool age children. The first Saturday story time will be held on April 1, 2017!
FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY BOOK SALE
Best bargains in Town: a whole grocery bag of books for practically nothing! Every spring and fall, the non-profit Friends of the Library host a book sale at Hocutt-Ellington Memorial Library to help support the Clayton Library. Learn more about this great event and how your bargains will benefit your library! The Friends of the Library holds general meetings at 4:00 p.m. on the 4th Thursday of January, July and October. All are welcome!
March 17, 4-7 : $25 per bag
March 18, 8-2 : $15 per bag
March 20, 4-7 : $10 per bag
Book donations for sales are accepted year-round. If you're considering donating items, please read the Friends of the Library Inc. Book Sale Donation Guidelines. Thank you for all of your donations!
SUMMER READING PROGRAM
Join us for our 2017 Summer Reading Program which kicks off Thursday, June 15, at 6 p.m. and runs through Saturday, July 29. This Collaborative Summer Library Program is a statewide coordinated program that encourages all ages to continue to improve their reading skills during the months when school is not in session.The full scheduled will be available in early May. 2017 Slogan: Build a Better World!