We're the department helping shape the future of the Town of Clayton. We perform several functions for the community.
Here are some of the more prominent functions of our department:
- Facilitating the community vision through plans, policies and programs.
- Encouraging new and expanded investment in the Town.
- Administering and enforcing development related codes and ordinances.
- Reviewing proposed development plans.
- Fostering exemplary design.
- Improving the environment.
- Planning for the physical needs of the community.
- Supporting Town activities relating to mapping and geographic data.
- Coordinating planning efforts with local, regional and state-wide agencies.
The Planning Department serves a broad range of constituents, including the citizens of the Town of Clayton and its Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ), community organizations, elected and appointed policymakers, builders, architects, property owners, tenants, and advocacy groups. All rely on the Town’s adopted Comprehensive Plan 2040 and the Unified Development Code to achieve the Town’s development goals.
- David DeYoung, AICP, Planning Director
- Kaitlin Russo, Downtown Development Coordinator
- Jay McLeod, AICP, Senior Planner
- Haley Hogg, CZO, Planner
- Paralee Smith, Development Services Coordinator
- Dede Bumgarner, CZO, Zoning Officer
- Karen Durham, Code Enforcement Officer
- Beth Franson, GISP, Planning Specialist
- Laura Gray, Planning Administrative Assistant
Administration: The Administration division provides support and resources to realize departmental goals. This division includes finance, legislative affairs, communications, information technology, operations, and human resources.
Planning and Zoning: The Planning and Zoning division develops policy, maintains and oversees compliance with the Town’s Comprehensive Plan, prepares and implements community plans, and acts as the urban design resource for the Town. The division is also responsible for reviewing project applications, zoning permits and subdivision review.
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) - The Planning Department is also in charge of maintaining the Town’s land use database, gathering and analyzing data and producing Town maps in support of land-use policy.
Downtown Development: The Downtown Development division of the Planning Department promotes the revitalization and development of downtown Clayton.
Code Enforcement: This division promotes compliance with the Town Code of Ordinances and helps the public to understand the enforcement issues. Code enforcement also initiates enforcement actions to remedy Code violations. The division investigates and resolves complaints about Code violations.
The Planning Department’s principal activities are:
- Developing and maintaining the Town's Comprehensive Plan 2040.
- Formulating planning controls, standards and guidelines that ensure the highest quality development.
- Analyzing development proposals for their environmental effects and developing implementation and monitoring measures to reduce impacts.
- Reviewing development proposals to ensure compliance with the Comprehensive Plan 2040, the Unified Development Code, and the General Design Guidelines.
- Engaging the public to inform, consult, or seek input on plans and projects and to involve the public in an ongoing dialog about the future of the Town.
- Serving as a data analysis and information center to gather, analyze, interpret and disseminate data in support of land-use policy analysis.
- Enhancing community safety and appearance through the enforcement of the Unified Development Code.
- Coordinating with sister agencies on application of plans and policies and fulfillment of community planning efforts as needed
- Promoting downtown as the lead advocate for its revitalization and continued development.