Would you like to be one of Clayton's Finest?
Serving your community as a Law Enforcement Officer is a great responsibility and a great opportunity. Town of Clayton Officers are held to a high standard and are proud of their roles in the community. Available positions are posted at Town Hall (111 E. Second Street, Clayton NC) and on our Job Openings page. If you are interested in applying, please go to our Job Openings page to fill out the application and consider the following information that is specific to our Law Enforcement employment.
- Be a United States Citizen
- Must be 21 years of age upon completion of probationary period
- Must not have been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor
- Must possess a valid North Carolina Driver's license w/good driving record
- Vision corrected to 20/20 and not colorblind
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED / preference given to college
- Must rate standard on physical fitness test
- Must meet residency requirements
To Compete in the Selection Process
- Must have knowledge of police methods, practices, procedures and the rules and regulations of a Police Department.
- Must be able to: understand and carry out oral and written instructions; prepare clear and comprehensive reports; deal courteously, but firmly with the public; and analyze situations and adopt quick, effective, and reasonable courses of action with regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances.
- Must possess physical agility and endurance to perform assigned duties, and be able to develop skill in the use of firearms and operation of motor vehicles.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school, supplemented by technical level courses in Law Enforcement or related field may be accepted.
- Basic Law Enforcement Training Certification is required.
- Police Officer (pay grade 16) salary range: $36,801 to $53,299
- Individually assigned patrol vehicles
- Career development programs
- Accrued paid vacation
- Unlimited accumulation of sick leave
- Employer paid major medical insurance with a family plan option
- Employer co-payment prescription drug plan
- Worker’s Compensation
- Disability Insurance
- Law Enforcement retirement fund
- All uniforms, weapons, radios, body armor, and other equipment are furnished at no cost to the employee
- 2½% increase after 6 months
- Uniform dry cleaning provided at no cost to employee
- 5% employer contribution to 401K account
- Higher pay for lateral entry with skills and experience
- Annual merit pay increases and regular COLAs
“The Town of Clayton Police Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As we strive to maintain a diverse workforce, the Clayton Police Department encourages all qualified persons to apply without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, gender, age, religious affiliation, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.”