Best bargains in Town: a whole grocery bag of books for practically nothing!
The non-profit Friends of the Library, Inc. is gearing up to host its Spring book sale at Hocutt-Ellington Memorial Library to help support the Clayton Library. Fiction, nonfiction, inspirational, cookbooks, textbooks, classics, children's and more. You won’t find better buys anywhere!
Friday, March 17, 2017 from 4–7 p.m.
Get first pick AND avoid the crowds! A bag of books is just $25. Just $25 for a whole bag of books!
Saturday, March 18, 2017 from 8 a.m.–2 p.m.
Join the throngs of avid readers and fill a paper bag for only $15 a bag.
Monday, March 20, 2017 from 4–7 p.m.
Don't worry if you miss the excitement on Friday and Saturday, come to the After Sale on Monday where you only pay $10 for a bag of books!
And, yes, a supply of Lowes Foods paper grocery bags will be on hand for you to fill to the brim!
Throughout the year people are always generously donating books to the Clayton Library. Many of those books go into our collection and many go up for sale in the biannual Friends of the Library book fundraiser. If you're considering donating items for this book sale, please drop them off before March 11 during library hours, but first please read the Friends of the Library Inc. Book Sale Donation Guidelines. Thank you for all of your donations! Children’s books are always in high demand, so please share if you can!
The Friends of the Library, Inc. is a nonprofit organized in 1976 to raise money to build Hocutt-Ellington Memorial Library, which opened in 1981. All proceeds from the book sale go directly to the Friends of the Library, Inc. The Library then makes requests to the group for funds to make improvements to the Library. The book sales have been going on for more than 20 years.
• In January 2016, the Friends of the Library once again voted to fund the Summer Reading Program with the purchase of 500 custom drawstring bags ($998) that was handed out to every program participant.
• In July 2016, they voted that every quarter they would provide the library with a Lowes Foods gift card in the amount of $200 to supplement our three monthly teen events -- $600 to date.
• In December 2016, they voted to pay for 12 custom T-shirts for our new Teen Advisory Board in the amount of $288.39.
• In January 2017, they voted to fund the annual Mother & Daughter Tea and Pizza & Pop free events in the amount of $300 cash, to cover the cost of food, tea, soda, pizza and flowers.
• In February 2017, the Friends of the Library again voted to fund the Summer Reading Program for the 3rd year in a row with the purchase of 800 custom drawstring bags and custom pencils in the amount of $1500.
"Our books sales help us sponsor popular library programs and events," said Bonnie Johnson, chair of the Friends of the Library. "We also gave gifts of appreciation to the library staff during National Library Week. And we're so excited to now be supporting the new programs being implemented for our teens."
Johnson says the members of the Friends are excited to see the library grow and enjoy the library sales growing too!
"My husband and I have lived in Clayton more than 50 years," said Johnson. "One of the great things about our town is the community support for our library. When I first visited the library after moving here in 1965, it was located in very small room in the town hall. Today we have a beautiful library building of our own. Our unique town library has something to offer everyone no matter how old or young you are."
Johnson says the Friends of the Library group is always looking to have more people join. They'll have a membership sign-up table at the book sales or you can stop by the library any time to pick up a membership form. The Friends meet on Tuesday mornings to sort the books that so many have donated for their book sales. They want to thank everyone for their generous commitment to the Clayton Library and hope to see all ages at the Fall Book Sale!
The Friends of the Library, Inc holds general meetings at 4:00 p.m. on the 4th Thursday of January, July and October. All are welcome!
The next Friends of the Library Book Sale is the annual Fall Book Sale set for September 8-10, 2017!